Wednesday, October 05, 2005


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I am overwhelmed at the generosity of the parishioners here on San Pedro.  We have been greeted with open arms by the lay faithful and the Lord is truly providing for us here.  Everyday at 12 noon we go to a different families� house for lunch.  It is such a blessing to have this time with different families and get to know people here.  I am amazed and humbled by the dedication of the parishioners here. They have so much hope and are eager for more, and this is renewing our faith and desire to know the Lord.  There is a hunger for praise and worship, and a hunger for the Holy Spirit and already we have started weekly prayer meetings on Thursday nights.  We didn�t even get the word out and over 30 people showed up this past Thursday.  Apparently others are spreading the word and many more are expected to come in the next week.  I think this is going to be a huge part of reviving this parish and I think it is only going to get bigger as the year goes on. 



 



Music ministry is playing a larger role than I expected down here.  Ali and I will be starting a choir at the parish for Sunday Mass.  We also are going to the schools to teach the children some music for their school masses.  It looks like I may be helping with the confirmation program which is exciting and will be starting up in the next couple weeks.  And finally, we are starting Lifeteen here.  There is very little offered for the youth here other than alcohol and drugs, so youth ministry is one of our primary goals.  We will be going to the High School this week to talk about it and our official �kickoff� date will be the first weekend of November.



 



Yes, San Pedro is beautiful and the beaches are gorgeous and I love being on the water, but being here to serve is no easy task and we need all the prayers we can get.  There is a spiritual battle going on here, and Satan does not want any ministry to take off here.  Prayer is our lifeline, and I am more convinced than ever that we are being carried by the Grace of God alone, and by the prayers of others.  As difficulties come up on San Pedro, I am reminded of what a priest told me just a week ago.  He said that only as we are on our knees before God in prayer is anything going to happen here to help the parish and people.  This is so true.  I must constantly come before the Lord, and ask Him to provide.  �Without Him we can do nothing� (John 15).  In closing I�d like to share a quote by Saint Justin Martyr.  At times it feels like there is so much to be done, and yet it is so difficult to start anything.  I am learning to just take one day at a time and surrender it to the Lord that His will is done.  This quote brings us much consolation here as we persevere through every day.  �The greatest grace God can give someone is to send him a trial he cannot bear with his own powers � and then sustain him with His grace so he may endure to the end and be saved.�  Is this not beautiful?  How often to we feel overwhelmed, like we just can�t do something, like life is too hard to handle?  Looking back on the most difficult times of my life, I see how those difficulties were essential in forming me and drawing me closer to the Lord.  Those times of trial have strengthened me and helped me to be more compassionate with others.  It is in the difficult moments that I learn to trust the Lord even more.  Coming to another country, entering into a whole new culture, and trying to be a vessel here of Christ�s love has definitely called me on to trust blindly in the Lord and in His Grace!              

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep fighting the good fight, Courtney! I'll be praying for y'all tonight during your praise and worship session.

Peace,
Sarah Sheldon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home