Monday, October 24, 2005

Praise God for His Protection!

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord, Jesus Christ! I wanted to thank everyone for their prayers. God really spared Belize and San Pedro from hurricane Wilma. We really are under the protection of Our Lady’s mantle. Ali, Alison, Ann and I just got back last night from Benque located right on the border of Guatemala and Belize. We decided on Wednesday as we saw waves crashing over the sea wall and onto the street, knowing that we still had 2 days before the hurricane was even close, that we should leave. After a very bumpy boat ride last Wednesday to the mainland, a 2 hour bus ride to Benque, and lots of prayers for protection, we took a big sigh of relief. Hurricane Wilma went to a category 5 overnight and as many of you know was the biggest hurricane to go through the Caribbean. San Pedro is located just off the southern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula and it is only by God’s Grace that the outer part of the hurricane was all we were hit with. There are definitely some missing docks and the water level was on the street at one point, and I know some of the really poor areas need rebuilding, but when all is said and done, we were spared. People work so hard here, that just three days after the hurricane you would not think a storm hit. I think they are used to quick clean up, being on an island where tourism is the main income. It is good to be back, and we are ready to persevere in planning for this year.
Yesterday, before getting the water taxi, we went to Belmopan for a Eucharistic Procession and Mass with the Bishop. John Paul II dedicated this past year to a year of the Eucharistic and the procession and Mass was for the closing of this year. It was really neat that the priests of Belize specifically chose World Mission Sunday for the closing Mass. The Bishop spoke about the need for missionaries all over the world, but most importantly in our own homes and in our own towns. He said "we must not be afraid to proclaim Christ's Truth". People will mock us, people will think we are crazy, but we cannot be afraid to be Truthful, and Jesus says himself, that the Truth will set you free! I am confident that God has called me to be a missionary in Belize for now, however I also know that we are all called to be missionaries wherever God has us. This summer the Lord called me to be a missionary living in Atlanta and nannying full-time. Mother Teresa always said that we are called to love, to serve and to evangelize the world, but it must start in our homes! I know so often that I can get caught up with what I need to do every day. When I have to go to the store even, I get pre-occupied with what I need to get and forget to notice the person next to me or the person working at the counter, and how much they need to be loved. More often than not, I get impatient waiting in lines rather than using that time as an opportunity to love those standing on my right and my left. My prayer is that the Lord will open my eyes throughout the most ordinary days to see and to love His Beloved children that are around me. I pray for all of you on world missions Sunday, that the Holy Spirit will rejuvenate you and inspire you all to carry out the Gospel message and be witnesses of Christ's Peace and Love in your daily lives!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home