Wednesday, October 12, 2005

God is Faithful and things are starting!

Peace of Christ be with all of you! Things are certainly starting to fall into place here in San Pedro! Just last night we had our first choir rehearsal and I was amazed at the turn out and eagerness of those who showed up. We had over 10 people ages 8 to 35 and they all stressed that they love to sing and want to use these gifts to give Glory to the Lord. Ali and I are excited to pray with this group of people and teach them more about the Lord. I think we have a lot to learn from them too.
I also met a girl last night named Mary. I was sitting on a dock taking some prayer time and I just really felt the Lord inviting me to start a conversation. Mary was very eager to talk. She is 22 years old and she grew up in a little village in Belize with no running water, and no electricity. When she was 8 years old her older sister almost died from heart problems. She was taken to New York and survived, but because of this Mary was pulled out of school by her dad and brought here to San Pedro. She has not been in school since then, and now at 22 she is living at home and cannot get a job because she has no high school degree. She has trouble reading too and because of this can’t even get into high school to try and get a degree. She doesn’t have any friends here, she said, and comes out to this dock for about two hours every night to just sit. She said her home is boring, but here on the dock, looking out at the water is what makes her happy. I told her that once I know my schedule, I will see if we can meet once a week and I will help her learn to read. I invited her to praise and worship Thursday night and am excited to introduce her to the other girls I’m living with. It will be a blessing to hang out with Mary when we can. Please keep her in your prayers as she learns to read and hopefully get into High School.
There is a hunger for worship here on San Pedro, and as I said previously, we have started weekly praise and worship on Thursday nights before the communion service. Please pray for this as well.
I am excited to announce the arrival of our fourth and final roommate. Ann Benage is now here in Belize! She spent a year last year doing missions in Austria and her experience and love for the faith is going to be a huge witness to the people of San Pedro. We are so excited and blessed to have her here!
Jesus has been so faithful as I am adjusting to life here. His Sacred Heart is constantly pouring out Love and I am so moved by how much His heart is LONGING to love, but so few are able to receive it. There is a song that has been a great consolation and the words go like this. "My child, I love you, I love you, I love you. My child, when my heart bleeds, your heart beats. You are mine." Is that not beautiful? I don't know about you, but so easily I forget how intimate His love is, how life-giving the Lord's love is. His heart is bleeding for love of me, He hangs on that Cross for love of me. And every breath I take, every second I am living He is willing that out of His Love. So simple, so beautiful, so perfect, and yet so often I forget the basics!

1 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger John Lopez said...

good to see you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home