Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Back on San Pedro!

Well after being back on the island of San Pedro for over a week now, I would have to say that we are officially moved in and pushing forward in plans here. We enjoyed an incredible week in Mexico City for the feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe and then I was blessed to go back to the States for a couple weeks. I was home for Christmas and then to Florida for Katie Grabowski’s wedding. I headed back to Belize, stopping in Atlanta and Dallas on my way to visit friends. God is good! In some ways it seems like we never left…Christmas in the states with snow and ice skating feels like a dream as I am sitting here in 90 degree weather sweating and trying to prepare for next week’s confirmation class.

The date for Confirmation is April 9th and we have a lot to do to prepare. This is where most of my time will be spent in the next 3 months. Last week we taught on the Creed, on what we believe as Catholics, and this week we are teaching on Prayer. One of the recurring topics of Confirmation has been about God’s invitation and our response. Prayer is just that. It is “God who thirsts for us”, it is God who always initiates and prayer is our response to that. It is our response to His love through praises, petitions, intercession and just spending time with Jesus in meditation and contemplation. The whole concept of a relationship with Jesus consisting of a dialogue, just like there is dialogue with a good friend seemed pretty foreign to the 12-year old boys yesterday. Please pray for us as we help cultivate an atmosphere of prayer, that the Holy Spirit may teach them to pray from their hearts! Please pray especially that the Lord stirs up in their hearts a desire for prayer, a desire for Him; that they may personally hear His voice and respond to His call. They are the future of this place!

The choir has been such a JOY to return to here as well. Just last Sunday at Mass we had over 20 members ranging from ages 7 to 70 crammed into the area where the choir sings. As I looked up during one song, I just couldn’t help but smile as I saw children and adults singing so passionately with their eyes closed. I couldn’t help but do the same. It is so apparent that they are singing from their hearts, and I keep telling them that if they are praying what they sing, then that’s all that matters. The Holy Spirit is really moving within them and I am so blessed to witness it!

Also, just last weekend we had our opening kick-off for youth ministry. Yes, for the first time, Lifeteen has come to Belize. It was an evening of fun! After working all day to decorate the Lion’s Den, we had over 30 teens come for a night of fun, games and prizes. By the end of the night, the teens were giving us hugs goodbye and said “I’ll see you next Friday”. What an affirmation, that they are so excited for next week! I also ask for your prayers as we get this youth program off the ground, that they really are given a hunger for God Himself! Pictures will be coming soon …

3 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are officially the first of the San Pedro girls to post in the new year!! Congratulations. ;)

I'm still praying for y'all...Keep us updated.

Peace of Christ,
Sarah S.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i'm here at your website finally... keep up the good work! i'm praying for you,
danielle

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey-
It was great to see you over Christmas, I will keep you and your work in my prayers. Everytime I hear from you and Tasha it makes me want to go back down there!
Keep up the incredible work,
Courtney

 

Post a Comment

<< Home