Wednesday, November 02, 2005


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



So one thing I love about Belize is that no matter where you are it's almost an insult not to hold or play with the children that are nearby.  A typical example would be just 2 weeks ago.  The girls and I were on the water taxi running away from Hurricane Wilma.  The water taxi stops at Caye Caulker just 30 minutes away and then goes another 1 1/2 to Belize City.  A woman gets on the boat holding twin babies that are only 3 months old followed by a 2 year old, a  4 year old and a 5 year old.  Now we're on a water taxi that holds about 30 people and there's at least 60 in this boat by now.  So I get up so she can sit down and move to the floor where I'm sitting on a suitcase.  It was the least I could do, since the boat ride was like a rollercoaster with the waves we were getting.  Immediately she hands off one of her twins to Alison and then the other three kids of hers come and sit on our laps; the 2 year old with Ann, the 4 year old with Ali and the 5 year old jumps on me.  We gave them some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we had made (it was obvious that they were pretty hungry) and needless to say the rest of the taxi ride passed pretty quickly.  If you know me at all, you know I love kids, so it is quite a blessing to have them sitting on my lap and jumping in my arms on almost a daily basis! 

3 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney,

Thanks for your great stories! Wow...what a powerful witness/conversation with the man on the water taxi. Way to proclaim our Lord's good news about sex and marriage!

Atlanta misses you. :)

Peace,
Sarah Sheldon

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courtney he looks like he is enjoying the sandwich. Keep up the good work! MOM

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to here that you are safe, and I am glad you are helping other kids. My kids, especially Kataleena asks about you daily. She really misses you. take care of yourself. We all miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home